5.06.2020

first blog as an mfa student



This past December, I had a spur of the moment yearning to be back at the university- the same one where I got my bachelor’s five years ago- so I applied to the MFA Creative Writing program. I worked really hard on my application for the next three weeks, creating four pieces of original work and endlessly revising it, plus gathering documents and letters of recommendation. When I got the notice of my admission, I was ecstatic!

The spring semester is about to end this week; all my work was due two days ago. I had become a caffeinated zombie for the past month, barely leaving my room as I read, researched, wrote, e-mailed, revised, etc. I seriously only left my room to go get food from the kitchen and to use the bathroom, and I came right back into my bedroom to continue working. I wanted to turn in work that I was very proud of, so the perfectionist in me came out and I completely isolated myself. (Not only cause of COVID-19--that’s for another blog.)

I’m happy. I took a workshop course in Non-Fiction, a Form & Theory Fiction class, and a class called Diversity Reading & Writing. We had so many books to read, and I kept being exposed to extra literature that I really wanted to get to once the semester was over, and that’s where I am now. I have checked out several books from the library and downloaded some to my Kindle app so that I can read for the next three weeks while I wait to start the summer semester.

I’m very happy & fulfilled that I get to live, breathe, eat, and sleep my passion, which is reading and writing. Since I was a kid, I have loved both. I have so much writing that I also want to do now that I have more free time. My writing here will just be about life. Not gonna be posting any school work because I’m going to save all that for my thesis. This, as always, will be a blog of random thoughts and things I don’t want to forget.

my writing desk on the last day of classes ðŸ–¤




No comments:

Post a Comment

thoughts?